On the last week of each year on this blog I make predictions about the coming year. I invite my readers to do the same. This is a recap of those predictions and how accurate I turned out to be.
- Toy Story 3 will be the top movie of the year, Iron Man 2, the A-Team, and Harry Potter will also be in the top 15 – Toy story was #1, Iron man 2 was #3, Harry Potter was #6, The A-Team kept me from perfection on this pick by finishing #37. I’m pretty pleased with this however.
- The Dow will be higher at the end of 2010 than at the beginning – I know the year still has 3 days but this is going to be correct
- There will be 15 e-book readers on the market by the end of 2010 but still no major publisher will release DRM-free books. So I will not buy one – there are at least 25 on the market although only the Sony, Kindle, and Nook have any market share to speak of. No major publisher has released a DRM-free book. I don’t own one. I’m right on all 3 accounts.
- The health care bill will not become final before May and by the time I write this post next year there will still be millions of uninsured Americans – It passed in March, but has yet to actually come into effect. I was half wrong here
- The Twitter stream will have ads in it (not just spam) – Wrong on this one. No ads in the stream. Promoted tweets on the homepage but no ads in stream.
- USA will be no better than 3rd in the medal count at the winter Olympics – Happily wrong about this one. USA finished first.
- Kentucky will be in the Final 4 – Sadly wrong about this one
- The finale of Lost will be mostly satisfying – I guess this one is a matter of opinion but I was mostly satisfied
- I will not live in Kentucky at the end of 2010 – Colossal fail on this one
- I will weigh less at the end of 2010 than I do at the beginning – I don’t know what I weigh today, but there is no question it is less than a year ago
By my count that makes me 10-6 (.625) in predictions for the year. I never claimed to be a prophet or the son of a prophet, but it's fun to see how well I did.
Only one reader, Ryan, was brave enough to make predictions last year. Here are his results
- UNC will make it to the Sweet 16 – Didn’t even make the tourney
- The Panthers will make the playoffs (Season starting August 2010) – Wow was this one wrong. The Panthers are currently 2-13
- Matt Moore will (should) be their starting QB – I’ll give you half credit for this one
- I will get a girlfriend – If so you have been awfully secretive about her
- Apple will release a tablet that will be beautiful looking, but no one will buy it, because what the heck is it for? – iPad released, iPad beautiful, iPad sold millions, everybody has seen one in the wild. You are 2-3 on this one
- The newest Twilight will be in the top 10 for movies, for some stupid reason – Twilight #4 = correct
I'm saying Ryan is 4-5 (.444)