On the last week of each year on this blog I make predictions about the coming year. I invite my readers to do the same. This is a recap of those predictions and how accurate I turned out to be.
- The number 1 movie will be Pirates of the Caribbean. Green Hornet in the top 5. The usual suspects like Harry Potter, Transformers, and Twilight will all be in the top 10 Pirates was #4, Green Hornet was #24, the other three were in the top 5. I’ll give myself half credit for this one
- Facebook will go crazy with 11:11:11 11/11/11 stuff I’m the only person I saw make a post about it, so I guess that one is wrong
- Some tablet computer running Android will be a genuine alternative to the iPad I’m tempted to give myself credit for the Kindle Fire, but it’s way too early to tell, so I’ll call this one another loss
- The iPhone will move to an additional carrier but Andriod will have greater market share at year’s end Bingo
- The ratings for American Idol will be off by at least 25%. It won’t be canceled but will not return with the same judges in 2012. I could not have been more wrong about this one. Idol ratings were only off about 11% and people who actually watch like the judges.
- There will be at least 10 announced Republican candidates for president. No democrat will run against Obama Yep
- Kentucky will not be in the Final 4 I am exceedingly happy that I was wrong about this one
- Bret Favre will actually retire…probably…maybe…maybe not…yeah he will. Yes finally, but the media keeps trying to drag him back
- The world will not end on May 21 no matter what the billboards say I’m typing, so I guess the world didn’t end
- I will catch a 7 lb. bass
I caught the biggest bass of my life, but it was only about 5 lbs
- I will not still be working at the Wood Shed at the end of 2011 Wrong
- I will weigh less at the end of 2011 than at the beginning Wrong
A couple of my regular readers made predictions about the coming year
- Cats make the Elite 8 Yes, and good news
- Reds finish higher than Cardinals in NL Central in 2011 Cardinals finished second, to the Brewers. Still won the World Series
- Mathis still lives in KY on 12-31-2011 Not only do I live here, but I bought a house. I think they call that putting down roots
- Mathis doesn’t complete his goal of visiting all 50 states in 2011 but does add to his total number of states he has visited No new states, so this one is Yes and No
- I will finish higher than Mathis in fantasy football in 2011 Socialist Tortillas 10-6, Titletown Tailgaters 7-9. The season is not over, but I have this one sewn up.
- One of the following 3 teams – the Cowboys, Globetrotters, or Kisha and Jen, will finish in the top 3 of the All-Star Amazing Race Season 18 Kisha & Jen won
- UNC will make it to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament (Basketball) The evil Tar Heels lost to my beloved University of Kentucky Wildcats in the round of 8
- Panthers will win at least 4 games. Panthers are currently 6-9
- I will get a girlfriend. Just like last year, I’m saying if so you are being awfully secretive about her
- I agree that Pirates will be the #1 movie. Pirates was 4
- A full size (30″+), glasses-less 3D tv will hit the market. It will cost more than $2k. Nope
- Chuck will be renewed for a 5th season. The 5th and final season is currently airing
Looks like the final tally is that I was 4-6-1, Roland was 4-3, Ryan was 3-3
The lesson you should learn is this. If you are looking for solid predictions about the future, go somewhere else. Cause really we are just guessing around here.