Tomorrow I have a post coming that is a followup to what I think is the best post I've ever written. Essentially I am interacting with that post and a recent news headline from my local paper. If you would like to read that post, here it is. Today, however, I will simply outline my argument from that post. Let me know if you agree or disagree, but think on it, because I really want the opinions of my readers tomorrow.
The argument I am articulating goes like this:
- Christians often say, "We have all these problems because Christians have been silent for too long." I have never heard this statement questioned.
- What people mean when they say this is that Christians don't make their voice heard on social issues facing our country.
- I say - we do make our voice heard, and we do it very well. Every American knows the predominant evangelical view of nearly every social issue.
- I say - this does not fix the problem because it is only treating the symptoms. It's as if the doctor diagnosed you with Swine Flu but only gave you aspirin to get rid of the aches and pains.
- I say - we have been silent too long...with the gospel message. If people's hearts are changed, their political views will change. Otherwise, lost people will behave like lost people.
Tomorrow I plan to demonstrate my point with a recent headline from our local paper and some context.