Today is my 33rd birthday. Birthdays have a way of making me take stock of my life, and even though I'm not freaking out today, I still like to look back. (BTW I really freaked out over turning 29.) I figure that, even with wishful thinking, at least a third of my life has passed. So, just for fun, I’ll break down my life so far into thirds and share some highlights.
Age birth – 11: I really accomplished a lot, relatively speaking. Mostly, like other kids, it’s learning stuff. Here’s a partial list that is in no particular order.
- Successfully navigated the birth canal
- Learned to walk
- Learned to talk (possibly learned this one a little too well)
- Inherited my brother and promptly, through regular beat-downs, established my dominance
- Survived a bout with a life-threatening illness.
- Learned how to use the toilet and clean up after myself (very important skill)
- Learned to tie my shoes even though in the early 80s we all thought velcro would replace laces
- Learned to ride a bike (this one took me a while)
- Learned to read and write
- Successfully passed Kindergarten through 5th grade (I turned 12 during the 6th grade)
- Moved 10 times or so through 4 different cities (Franklin KY, Somerset KY, Bristol VA, Hopkinsville KY, Cerulean KY)
- Became a Christian
- Participated in a school play
- Got pretty fat
- Made it to the dice and bowtie (I can’t remember which is better) levels of Megamania
Age 12-22: Not so much about learning stuff, as accomplishing stuff or failing to accomplish stuff. This is obviously what I would refer to as my formative years. I am who I am mostly because of these 11 years. Again, here’s a list.
- Managed to get through 6th-12th grade in one try (I won’t be saying that later on)
- Survived the divorce of my parents
- Saved the princess in Super Mario Brothers
- Saw my Dad become a Christian
- Inherited a step family (which included 2 more brothers and a sister. Again I had to establish my dominance through regular beat-downs)
- Actually went on a few dates
- Played trombone in High School band
- Totally graduated high school (again, it only took one try)
- Lost a bunch of weight then got fat again
- Moved away from home for college at UK
- Spent a summer in Washington & Oregon as a NAMB summer missionary (This was life changing. If you are in college and want to be used by God, apply at apply.namb.net)
- Spent a summer as youth director at the church I grew up in
- Went to the 1997 final 4 and had great seats (Sadly, Kentucky lost)
- Served as youth minister at Durbin Memorial Baptist Church
- Flunked out of UK
- Moved about 6 more times during this period
- Worked for Universal Property & Casualty insurance company (I didn't live in Florida. It was operated by Kentucky National.)
Age 23-33: I realize that I'm just beginning my 33rd year, but I can talk about the previous 10.
Making that list was kinda fun. Hope you enjoyed it